(East Hartford Public Schools)
The Connecticut IB Academy (CIBA) is an authorized International Baccalaureate (IB) World School ® , an internationally-recognized educational model that focuses on depth, breadth and developing learners as independent, internationally-minded thinkers and problem solvers. The IB is a course of study that exceeds traditional academic boundaries and extends far beyond the classroom.
CIBA is a top high school consisting of two IB programmes-the Middle Years Programme (MYP) in grades 9 and 10 and the Diploma Programme (DP) in grades 11 and 12.
International students have the opportunity to attend a diverse public American high school that is rich with diversity. Moreover, international students who attend the Connecticut IB Academy stay with American host families, not in dormitories, and thus are fully immersed in American culture and the English language.
The Connecticut IB Academy promotes academic excellence and social development through the IB learner profile and rigorous, student-centered learning experiences. By fostering international mindedness, students are empowered to consider diverse perspectives and make a difference in the world through service and action.
CIBA, a public magnet school, has received numerous accolades for its rigorous curriculum and preparation for college and careers. Below is a list of the most recent distinctions:
- 2019 #5 BEST HIGH SCHOOL IN CT BY U.S. NEWS AND WORLD REPORT
- 2019 GREATSCHOOLS COLLEGE SUCCESS AWARD
- 2019 #5 MOST DIVERSE PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL IN CT
- 2018 #3 BEST MAGNET HIGH SCHOOL IN CT BY NICHE
- 2017 AMERICA’S MOST CHALLENGING HIGH SCHOOLS BY THE WASHINGTON POST
- 2017 #31 IN THE U.S. IB PROGRAMMES BY THE BEST SCHOOLS
- 2017 U.S.A. MEDALLION PARTNER IN GLOBAL DIPLOMACY BY U.S. STATE DEPARTMENT
- 2017 #31 BEST HIGH SCHOOL IN THE U.S. FOR SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, ENGINEERING, AND
CIBA by the Numbers
Below is a snapshot of CIBA’s student body during the 2018-2019 school year.
CIBA’s Philosophy of Teaching and Learning
The Connecticut IB Academy’s philosophy of teaching and learning aligns with the approaches supported by recent research on best practices in international education as well as the standards and practices advocated by the International Baccalaureate.
CIBA believes that students can achieve at a high level through collaboration with their classmates and teachers using a rigorous curriculum that allows them to construct meaning and make sense of the
world. Students at CIBA are highly motivated to succeed and are encouraged to develop themselves as inquiring, knowledgeable, principled and caring people who want to make a difference in the world through a broad understanding of global issues, intercultural understanding and respect.
Teaching and learning at CIBA are centered on the student’s exploration of the world around them through the various disciplines and through interdisciplinary study. The International Baccalaureate approach weaves together depth of content understanding with conceptual study through real world connections, defined as “global contexts.” Students not only develop academic skills, but they work on their social, emotional and metacognitive skills through explicit practice in communication, social, self-
management, research, and thinking. CIBA’s mission is to empower students as caring, ethical young people with a passion for learning and a well-developed sense of international mindedness.
Beyond High School
The IB programmes have a high level of respect and recognition among the world’s leading higher education institutions which may result in advanced course standing, course credit, scholarships and other admissions related benefits for CIBA students. CIBA students regularly matriculate at the top
colleges and universities around the world.
Benefits of Choosing CIBA
- Attending one year at a top-ranked American public high school with world-recognized International Baccalaureate programmes
- Experiencing the quality of an elite private school with the cultural immersion of a diverse public high school
- Participating in full immersion in an authentic experience with a homestay family to enhance English skills and learn about the American culture
- Creating an individualized class schedule based on your needs- International Baccalaureate (IB), Advanced Placement (AP), and English as a Second Language (ESL) courses are offered
- Being part of a small school environment, yet being able to choose from a wide variety of athletics and extracurricular activities
- Serving as an ambassador for your country
- Making friendships that will last a lifetime
- Developing international mindedness and a global worldview
- Having an advantage of being accepted into a top university
For more information, please visit: https://ciba.easthartford.org/ or contact the Principal of the Connecticut IB Academy at 860 622 5590